Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love Languages

So after talking to a dear friend of mine yesterday, I discovered a book called "The 5 love languages of children". I have previously read the original book on the 5 love languages, but until talking with Kasey yesterday, it never occured to me to try it with the boys. I think it will be wonderful and I am so excited to get the book. For those unfamiliar with the book, the 5 languages are as follows:

1. Words of Affirmation-
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

2. Quality Time-
In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

3. Receiving Gifts-
Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

4. Acts of Service-
Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

5. Physical Touch-
This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

(Information is from this website.... http://www.5lovelanguages.com/)

I believe all five of these are important in parent/child relationships (as well as marriage) but I think it's especially important to figure out which matters most to your child and spouse. Boogs main love language is "Words of Affirmation". I think this is why he is always so eager to dish out compliments for others. He is always telling me what a great mommy I am, how I make the best food, how much he loves being with me, how much he loves me, how much he loves his brothers, how thankful he is to Jesus. Him expressing these things is showing me how much he also likes to hear them. He is always asking me how he did drawing a picture, If I think he is talented, Do I think he looks handsome, ect,. "Physical Touch" is a close second for him. He loves hugs and kisses, cuddling, and being close to us. He loves wrestling with daddy and could snuggle on the couch with us for hours. Nugget is a "Quality Time" child. He loves spending time with each of us and has a blast doing things together. He brings me countless books throughout the day to read to him, and even though he is perfectly capable of going to the bathroom alone, he would much rather I go with him. I think one on one time is going to be extremely important for him. He is still a little young, so I think I will need to watch and see which languages are most important to him as he grows.

Once I receive and actually read the whole book, I will give you an update on how I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bek, I read that book (just because i could).. it's a really good book. I also read "God Speaks Your Love Language" and "The 5 Love Languages" .. They were really great books and taught me about myself about people around me, about the children i work with at church and also how God loves. Totally awesome books! I hope you enjoy it !! can't wait to hear what you think about it. (:

Kasey said...

Did you order from Amazon? Mine should be here today, and I'm excited to begin! But also very much torn, because I'm 3/4 of the way through another book that I'm really enjoying, and don't want to quit it right now. LOL

I love the original Love Language book (the only one I've read) and I can't wait to read this and discuss it with you!

Off to buy a wig to confuse the paparazzi that I'm certain are outside, ready to take my photo after this huge shout out on your blog...